The Main Points
The Human Aspect
Grief and loss suffered by those who love their pet rabbits is as great as that suffered when they lose their dog. Children are frequently involved and cry for their lost bunnies. Vets who have to euthanase rabbits suffer distress and feel unable to help.
Wild Rabbits Issue
Domestic rabbits don’t survive in the wild for these reasons:
* they are caught again by their owners or others
* they are too delicate and also need specific food and care to live
* they are reliant on humans for their food and water – can’t find water – if they find a dog’s water the dog would kill them
* dogs kill them
* they are run over by cars
* they may die from lack of shelter and stress
* some long haired breeds have fur that knot up and would stop them being able to move about thus they would die
In England the vaccinated domestic rabbits have no impact on the wild rabbit population who continue to die from the disease
Wild rabbits have built up some immunity already and the Calicivirus is quicker and more http://ambienbuy.net effective as a culling virus
Domestic rabbits are currently allowed to have the Calicivirus vaccine but not the Myxomatosis vaccine!
If you suspect that your rabbit has Myxomatosis you can view these videos of Rabbit Myxo cases. Myxomatosis videos will help you identify the symptoms
How to Prevent Myxomatosis
Myxomatosis is carried by mosquitoes and fleas or other biting insects so the first step is to ensure they cannot get to your rabbit.
Mosquitoes cause Myxomatosis
The best way to protect your rabbit is to keep him inside the home in a screened area. Spray regularly for mosquitoes. Keep him flea and mite free. If outdoors keep citronella lamps burning at dusk, nighttime and mornings. Cover cage with mosquito screening. Keep other pets free from fleas and mites. Don’t let wild rabbits have nose to nose contact as they may be carriers of the myxomatosis virus.
Fleas cause Myxomatosis
Fleas also carry Myxomatosis. Revolution for small dogs will keep your rabbit free of fleas if applied regularly.
Protection of Pet Rabbits against the Myxomatosis disease:
- Fly Screening all outdoor cages
- Keeping rabbits inside the house
- Keeping rabbits flea treated with either Revolution or Advantage